- :: In other cases a new bearing made of Babbitt metal might have been created in place.
- The bearing shells, in which the shaft rotates, are lined with a low-friction material like Babbitt metal.
- In 1932, the company developed a new alloy called C-100, the first new bearing material since the discovery of Babbitt metal.
- The hard particles provide a low-friction bearing surface, while the softer material wears back to provide space for lubricant to flow, similar to Babbitt metal.
- The inner surface of the steel shell is plated with a coating of bronze which is in turn coated with a thin layer of Babbitt metal as the bearing surface.